Friday, January 7, 2011

7-year itch

I had planned to have this as my first blog-post but changed my mind at the last minute. I know the first post was a bit long but I guess interesting enough to keep you glued on. Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Well, why 7-year itch? Simple! On 1-1-11 we celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. Yes! Sounds unbelievable but yes, it has, after all been 7 years! So that's 15 years of togetherness. Are you still wondering where the itch comes from? But hey haven't scratched it .. ;-) ... as yet ;-) he he he

Well without getting into too many details, I would say it has been one heck of a ride. Almost wanted to get off it a few times, but hey am not one to give up so easily. Well not *that* easily ;-) ROTFL! I am a matador de toros aka bull-fighter. At times, it did seem that I had lost the battle but it's not over till the fat lady sings. And I'm full of surprises. There's always that one last trick. GOD knows what I may do 25 years hence! ;-)

Ok now, enough digressing.

This year we planned to do something different for our aniversary. We spent the 31st evening at a friend's place and stayed over with Baby G aka The Princess. It was an intimate gathering of a few couples.  Didn't want to risk drinking and driving on New Year's Eve specially with Baby G in the car; more so because of other ignorant drunks driving around! Better be safe than sorry.


Baby G licking the cake

So on the 1st, we dropped our little bundle of joy,  well not a bundle or little anymore, more like an excited bunny, at my in-laws'. Then we headed off to the Taj West End in Bangalore, courtesy my InnerCircle membership. The room was complimentary ;-) he he he. Everyone who reads this post, please go and get yourself a Taj InnerCircle  membership. The one night complimentary more than makes up for the cost of it! Look at it as an investment. All other benefits are a bonus. And no, incase you are already wondering I'm not paid to promote it :-)



This is on top of the reception. Amazing!!
Taj - West End, Bangalore 
Gorgeous!!
Taj - West End, Bangalore 
Passage
Taj - West End, Bangalore

This was the first time we were leaving Baby G overnight at my in-laws without any of us being there, so we were a bit nervous. Well Baby G did throw a tantrum while we were leaving but nothing new. We are used to it by now. But yeah, it does break our hearts to see her wail when we leave... Crocodile tears streaming down her cute chubby cheeks. The Brat!


1712
Taj - West End, Bangalore 
Bedroom
Taj - West End, Bangalore 
Bedroom - Yes that's my 15" MacBook Pro
Taj - West End, Bangalore 

So we checked into 1712.  The room was absolutely stunning as you can see from the pics above. It was in the main wing on the first floor. I think it was called the Taj Club Room. But it actually felt like we were on the ground floor. The terrace garden was just beautiful. I personally love hotels with Victorian Architecture. Not that I know much about it, but am in love with the old-world charm of the West End. Somehow modern rooms don't stir the same emotions. You know what I mean. ;-)


Bedroom ceiling fan
Taj - West End, Bangalore 

The favourite part of the room, for me, was the bathroom :-) Well, it had a bathtub! And I just love chilling in it with all the bubbles.  I spent close to an hour and half in it and forced myself to get out as I started looking like a prune. And you know what they say about hot water and Men ... ;-) Had a good nap in preparation for the evening that lay ahead. Did I mention the bottle of wine? I downed a couple of glasses before soaking into the foam bath. The ambience, the wine, the foam bath and not to forget my beautiful companion, all put together, transported me to different world. I could hear the birds chirping outside... the odd car zipping by. My, oh my! I was in heaven!

Rather we were.

Hey no naughty thoughts OK!


The Tub
Taj - West End, Bangalore
The Bathroom
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Bedside Candle Stand
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Bedside lantern
Taj - West End, Bangalore

Before going down to Blue Bar for a couple of quick drinks, I went for a stroll on the terrace garden while the wife got dressed. And we all know how little time they take. By the way my wife's name is Zeeba. So while she took her 2 minutes to get ready. (Yeah right as if!) As I wandered about, I became conscious of the sun retreating.  Under the various hues of blue of the impending darkness, the property had transformed into something out of a fairytale and looked oh-so-beautiful. I whipped out my iPhone 3GS and started taking pictures. Well not that I wasn't taking pics earlier. But every time I use the iPhone to take pics, it just amazes me with its versatility. And that's another thing I may want to take up with serious dedication - photography. I think I have the angles n all. Can conceptualise a good pic, maybe I lack in the technicality of it all.


X'mas tree lit up
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Verandah
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Gingerbread house .. ;-)
Taj - West End, Bangalore

Doesn't the property look amazing all lit up? Felt like I was in my daughters dream. LOL. I could have lazed and gazed at this sight all evening. With a single malt in one hand and a cigar in the other; and have some heavenly bodies at my beck n call ;-) My daughter would have loved it. Maybe, next time.


Dollhouse
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Verandah
Taj - West End, Bangalore

So the 2 minutes was up (my watch said 63 minutes but I don't know how to read the time) and my lady-in-waiting emerged from the shadows. Absolutely stunning!! Eye popping!! But hmmmm that was not my lady in waiting. She must have thought I'm cuckoo. I headed to the room n as I unlocked it I was greeted by this site. WooHoo!! Isn't she gorgeous. Damn she's standing in front of my Mac. Move away!


Lady in waiting
Taj - West End, Bangalore

The Blue Bar looked splendid. We didn't sit at the bar area. Got ourselves a cosy n quiet corner n plonked our butts. As it was our anniversary, I didn't want to go with the normal fare. So I thought let's get adventurous and ordered us a couple of Champagne Cocktails. For the first round Zee had a Verona and me a Bellini. Oi bubbly!!! 2nd round Rossini for her and Kir Royale for me; accompanied by some wasabi nuts, my favourite! The wasabi gives me an awesome headrush. Whoosh!! Oh we also ordered some Pepper Crusted Prawns. The ambience was enchanting... Lights playing hookey amidst the plants. Had the iPhone on hand and I went all looney going clicke-ty-click. As we were about to head to Blue Ginger for dinner after settling our bill. We were surprised with a complimentary Taj special cocktail - Bangalore Buzz, white rum, lychee and orange juice. Go try it people. Nice tangy n punchy. Alcohol always tastes better when free. ;-)


Verona & Bellini - The 2 slinky ladies
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Avataar
Taj - West End, Bangalore

So after an hour and a half at the bar we head to dinner at the Blue Ginger. Love open air restaurants more so during Bangalore's cold evenings. By now, they all knew it was our anniversary so we did get a bit of special treatment. Quiet, cosy, corner seat. I just loved the decor. We were pretty high by then and the prawns and wasabi nuts pretty much filled our stomachs. But we were hungry for some Vietnamese fare. We ordered a couple of starters - chicken and prawns. And gorged on the prawn crackers. (can't find the bloody thing in bangalore). The main course was simple, tenderloin in oyster and mushroom sauce. Bit bland for my taste-buds, but enjoyed it nevertheless. Highlight of the dinner was the dessert. Creme Brulee never tasted better. Hint of ginger and lemongrass. It was sinful. Of course, next only to Tiramisu - my all time favourite! We wanted to have a second helping but were afraid we would throw up all the yummy food in our tummy. We asked for the bill and again like the Blue Bar we had a surprise waiting for us. A chocolate cake with Happy Anniversary on it. Flambe style. Overdose of alcohol in it, but hey am not complaining ;-).  Now I was bordering drunk. LOL.


Table @ Blue Ginger
Taj - West End, Bangalore 
Flambe chocolate cake
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Candle stand
Taj - West End, Bangalore

So after dinner we head back to our room and guess what... another surprise! A yummy cake with a rose on the side! But were so stuffed from all the eating that we decided to have this delicious cake the next day and called it a night.

Well, that pretty much sums it up!


Anniversary Cake
Taj - West End, Bangalore


Some additional pics from our stay.



Sunset
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Pathway
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Fountain
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Prince of Wales Garden
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Swimming Pool
Taj - West End, Bangalore
Pathway
Taj - West End, Bangalore

All pics are shot on the iPhone 3GS.

1 comment: